Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Seven days of creation on the back of a turtle


     Stories about creation are some of my favorites, next to Greek mythology of course… and The Inferno. This is mainly because they're so weird. Every culture has something different, and I'll swear up and down some of them just pulled stuff outta their butt. What's interesting is that no matter how strange they are, there's likely someone who believes in them. With that in mind, are we really that different from a person who thinks the world rests on the back of an ancient turtle?

     Let's use Christianity as an example. When you look at the Christian creation story (and I mean really look at it), it doesn't sound much more realistic than the others, yet people still put stock into the tale. Seven days of creation with separate days designated for separate things. Couldn't the Alpha and Omega of the universe just have snapped His fingers and BOOM! new world? Why is the story so meticulous? That's just scratching the surface.

     I'm a Christian, but I'm not gonna lie, it was hard for me to see it as strange at first since I'd grown up with the story. However, I now understand just how strange it really is (I still believe it though). Maybe from someone else's view I'm the guy believing the world rests on the back of an ancient turtle.

1 comment:

  1. I can really identify with your thoughts about how it was hard to see the Genesis version of creation as strange at first. I am also a Christian, and I have grown up in a Baptist church my whole life, so I have heard the story of creation more times than I could count. I think that the world we live in is so intricately detailed that there is no explanation for it other than a divine Creator, and so I choose to believe that is why God created it so meticulously. The probability of some of the things that sustain life happening naturally, (like how we are an exact distance from the sun, and any closer or farther we wouldn't survive), is so incredibly small that it takes more faith not to believe that God is our creator than to believe that He is.

    ReplyDelete