When I found this out, I honestly didn't know what to think. But society sure knew. And society made sure that I found out quickly. I had to be gay. That was the only explanation, right? No attraction to the opposite sex means you must be attracted to the same sex. Sadly, society was able to make me believe this, and therefore, I accepted that I was a gay Christian. I knew that it didn't really work, but I believed in Christianity. What was I supposed to do? Do I get married? How would I tell my parents? I couldn't explain it any other way except that I was born that way. But God doesn't create gays. I think the dilemma here is pretty clear.
Thankfully, however, I befriended someone about a week ago who showed me the truth and really changed my life. It turns out I was indeed born this way, and God doesn't create gays. How can both arguments coincide? The answer has been in the Bible all this time, yet the church seems to have simply glazed over it by thinking of it in too modern of a sense.
Matthew 19:10-12 states, "The disciples said to him, 'If such is the case of a man with his wife, it is better not to marry.'" [Regarding divorce and sexual immorality in marriage] "But he said to them, 'Not everyone can receive this saying, but only those to whom it is given. For there are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. Let the one who is able to receive this receive it.'"
Reading this passage, you may be thinking that I'm castrated. I'm not castrated. I'm in tact. Completely. Thank you. The modern term for eunuch refers to castration, however, that term tends to ignore historical precedent. The term historically was meant not for one who had necessarily been castrated, but primarily as "guardian," or "nurturer," meaning "someone meant to be faithfully unmarried." Eunuchs were never a threat to matrimony, and in fact were often life-long servants to a cause or person. There are many who would be considered biblical eunuchs. Jesus, Paul, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, and John are among that list. The term eunuch was used more often for a dedicated keeper or guardian, not a castrated male.
God creates people to be eunuchs, to be dedicated servants. Society, however, pushes people in different directions, and the church, for the most part, seems to be ignorant of the meaning of eunuchs, which means they can't exactly guide people properly. This fact makes it so critical that this gets out.
Some of you will probably think I'm crazy. After all, this is just a brief overview; there's way more detail and information on this! But new truths always sound crazy, right? Speaking of truths...
John 8:31-32 states, "So Jesus said to the Jews who had believed him, 'If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.'"
When I heard the truth about eunuchs, I really felt like I had been set free. It all seems so clear now. I don't have to struggle with understanding why I am the way I am; now I know.
I'm not gay... I'm a eunuch.
Books used to help make this post:
The Bible
As a society, we are so quick to place labels on people. The problem is that we are all a mix of things and one label may not fit the bill. Defining one's self should be a personal thing. As long as you are happy with who you are, that is all that matters.
ReplyDelete