Friday, September 18, 2015

Ancient vs. Modern

     The distinction between ancient and modern heroes is quite interesting. Over thousands of years, the purpose of a hero seems to have changed drastically.

     Ancient heroes seem to almost always have some kind of divine intervention/favoritism. They're also abnormally attractive, strong, (insert human characteristic here). Modern "heroes" simply live daily lives and then next thing you know, people go crazy about what the Kardashians are doing. Modern heroes being role models is kind of disappointing since people always flock to whoever gets the most attention in movies or by the media.

     Something that pulls these different time period together though is that heroes likely always had an impression on people in society. They see the great things that were accomplished and people decide they want to be like that. Good things and bad things come of this, most bad things are probably exemplified in our modern society when people look to celebrities for what they should think/do.

2 comments:

  1. I think there is a big difference between being a hero, a role model or a celebrity. Unfortunately, many people confuse the three. The Kardashians, in my mind, are strictly celebrities (although I use that term loosely). I don't believe they have done anything of value. Providing value is a critical component of heroes and role models.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate how you use quotations when describing the Kardashians as "heroes." I'd like to think modern heroes would be more akin to people doing good things for the world, such as celebrities that do a lot of philanthropic work (George Clooney, Bill Gates, Jimmy Carter) or even regular people with jobs that go above and beyond (firefighters, police, EMTs, etc). I don't think there is necessarily a direct connection between modern heroes and role models.

    ReplyDelete