It's interesting how times change. Nerdy used to be looked down upon, but now it's a popular thing. New words get added to the dictionary that you never would've imagined would make it. New things are done that were once thought impossible.
Words, and our language in general, is just another thing victimized by the ravages of time. "Hero" is no exception.
When we think of a hero, we tend to think of a role model, someone to look up to who sets a standard. It wasn't always that way though. In ancient stories, a hero was often a divine, god-power imbued super-human. We still have these kinds of heroes today. Superman, for instance, seems to be capable of just about anything.
While the old meaning of hero hasn't faded completely, it's interesting to see new meaning brought to the word over hundreds of years. Strangely enough, however, the meaning never really was that different. The super-powered heroes of old were likely revered (Odysseus killed some heavy-duty monsters). Heroes nowadays are revered as well; they're respected and looked up to for direction.
I don't have any heroes in particular. I don't tend to see meaning in revering one person above the rest. But I suppose that in darker times, having that role model to turn to could help. Something that is all too evident to me, however, is that the over-dependence and poor choice of role models is rampant in today's society.
Many kids in today's society tend to grow up on the foundation of having a hero. I know having a hero for some people give them hope and can in a sense be there version of therapy. I believe many versions of heroic stories throughout the generations have shifted into its own genre. But I agree with many people choosing the wrong role models.
ReplyDeleteI don't have any heroes either for basically the same reason. I was actually worried about this assignment because I didn't have anyone to write about.
ReplyDeleteI don't have any heroes either for basically the same reason. I was actually worried about this assignment because I didn't have anyone to write about.
ReplyDeleteExcellent post! I agree that we have a lot of role models in society, but very few heroes. I think that many times the title of role model is earned with very little effort. True heroes do courageous, exemplary things that benefit others. Many of today's heroes are anonymous. They are humble and don't wish to have their actions glorified. I have a lot of respect for that.
ReplyDeleteWhat a classic way to look at that. I agree, over time we add different meanings to words, like the word hero. I guess some might say that's ignorance or maybe it's growing and learning more....who nows.
ReplyDelete